Tuesday 12 April 2011

I'd better start at the beginning......My hero, my Bu Bu Mummy Hannah.


On this particular morning....... I was woken by my Bu Bu at sunrise and she had a job for us to do. So I got up and followed her... we went in single file down a narrow dirt path to the ocean and beside the ocean was a beautiful fresh water spring. She showed me carefully how to fill the numerous litre plastic bottles without allowing silt to contaminate the drinking water. We met some other village women and their children, collected the bottles and this is where this pretty little story takes a serious turn for me! I was then to place all the litres of water in the bilum and put it on my back, supporting the weight on my head, while aslo carrying one in my hands. Now this for any other 19 year old girl who lived there, would have been a piece of piss, but for me.........It was the biggest physical challenge of my short life. And of course I wanted to make my Bu Bu proud, so I ignored the trumendous strain on my neck, bak, hips, forehead and the fact that we were heading back up the hill, and stopping for all the other villagers to see me! Aiiiiyoooo look at the dim dim bu bu trying to carry the water..... But my Bu Bu Mummy was soooo proud and she showed me off like a shiny trophy all the way home, taking her time to show me to everyBODY! It was a challenge, but it was worth every moment...and to top it off when we got back the the house, Mum came out with a camera and said, "wait, wait, dont put anything down, i want to take a picture!" Ha!
One of my favorite pictures ever!

1 comment:

  1. too damn PROOOUUUUUDDD of you!
    Best!!! :)

    ReplyDelete